Sunday, April 24, 2011

Huntin' Camp

I remember growing up, I was able to go to my uncles huntin camp. It wasn't very big as it was an old one room school house converted to a place where memories were made. I think my uncles owned just a acre or so the camp was on but it was beside hundreds of thousands of acres owned by a paper company and with a cheap permit you could hunt all of it. Camp had electricity, a kitchen, bunks, and a john out back - all you need it seemed. I can still smell the mountains in the Fall, the musty cabin, and bacon in the morning as Uncle Larry made breakfast. I remember the truck ride to our spots, the old logging road I hunted, and all the camp-isms I can't write about. I never got a shot at a deer - but it never mattered. It was about the experience, time with my dad, and family/friends. My only regret is not doing it more, which I am sure would have led me to regretting not doing it even more.

This past week Luke and I went to southern Indiana on the youth turkey hunt. We went to huntin camp. We had the honor of spending time with a group of guys and their sons/grandsons at camp. Thanks Bill and Joe for having the youth hunt again and sharing your place and more importantly your passion for all things outdoors. Thanks for helping me invest into my son the outdoor experience. I wish you could have seen Luke's eyes when I asked him if he wanted to go - priceless. Thanks Bill for letting the boys shoot and blow things up while you helped them with form and safety and all the food you prepared. While everyone else slept you peeled potatoes, got breakfast going, and stayed up late getting things ready for the next day. Thanks Joe for the taxi across the flooded tundra, setting up the blinds, and sharing your knowledge of where to go. Although your grandson was there as well, a visitor could not have picked out yours because you treated each kid as honored guests.

We got no shot at a turkey. We did have a hen walk within 5 yards of us in the morning. Two bucks in front at 15 yards and four behind us in the afternoon. Here is a picture looking out out blind at our set up. Notice the truck tracks - the hen walked down them.


Here are the fearless hunters. Luke decied we needed face paint.

The field we were hunting.

Luke is ready for the shot. Notice my redneck bi-pod.  Don't laugh it works great and cost me .75 cents. All I need to do now is camo it.

Some of Bill's cooking skills. We had deer, hog, rabbits and squirrel. It was awesome!!




The dining/picture/lying room.


The shooting tower and/or deer hanging-skinning tower.


We left home with the hopes of a successful hunt. We achieved that and even more - all without a bird. We went to huntin camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment